My design style has not changed that much over the years. But honestly, how my place really looks and the design style I love are TWO different things! I’m 37 years old and still have a bunch of decorations from college, and furniture that doesn’t go together at all. In August of 2012 I moved into this loft and improved on that a little bit, but I’m moving again in May of this year and it’s time to really refine my style, then go through my stuff and be choosy! I’m doing it with a bit of help from Sauder.com.
You can get an idea of what I like from my loft image here, taken at Christmas. That was my starting point.
The first step was to figure out how to categorize my style. One tool that I’m sure you already use for finding what you like is Pinterest. Of course, I use it too. I wanted to identify a name for what I like, so I visited Sauder on Pinterest. They already have some great pins classified according to style, so all you need to do is take a peek through their awesome boards and figure out which are your favorites. I’m definitely a fan of Soft Modern, aka, Modern Simplicity. I just love clean lines and bold colors! Here are some items that sealed the deal for me:
Sauder has more information about the Modern Simplicity style. It’s inspired by midcentury modern décor and offers modern room design without all the frilly fuss. It’s clean, uncluttered and flooded with natural light. It finds a purpose for everything you need without muddling your space with anything you don’t. The room design showcases a neutral palette with bold pops of one or two primary colors. The style is best displayed in clean lines, linear architecture, and large windows. I love it!
Once you find your style, now what? So here’s my plan:
- Write each room down on a piece of paper and then a list of furniture items I need in each room, using the Sauder images as inspiration. So for my living room, I’ll want my couch, side chair and lamp.
- List what am I missing. For instance, in the living room, I need a side table in my new space. I’ll do this for each room.
- Then the hard part. Go through each decoration, including lamps pictures and larger items. Identify whether it fits with the style – either a “yes” or “no.”
- If it fits with my style, add it to the room list that I want it to go in. If it doesn’t, decide if I’m going to keep it anyway (is it sentimental?) or give it away.
- Review my room lists and refine from there. Taking cell phone images and printing them out can help with this process, if you are a visual person like me.
What are your tips for moving into a new place and embracing your style? I’d love to hear. I’m so excited to begin this process. I can’t wait to add in some new Sauder pieces, as well. Don’t forget to visit Sauder on Pinterest to find your personal style!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sauder Woodworking. The opinions and text are all mine.