I love popcorn. I live for it. I go the movie theater for it. I eat it for lunch. I eat it for dinner. I like it covered in salt, in butter, and in any sticky, sugary goo. Truly there is no form of the stuff I don’t love. That is why it was no surprise to me when I felt as though I had gone to popcorn heaven after I tasted these Buttered Popcorn and Butterscotch Cookies I made last night.
It seems like when it comes to adding saltiness to baked goods, pretzels get all the glory. Every brownie and cookie has pretzel in it these days and I feel like these cookies are here to finally give popcorn the recognition it deserves. These cookies are moist and delicious, filled with crunchy, chewy, and salty popcorn which pairs perfectly with the butterscotch chips. I mean, this recipe has the word butter in it TWO times. How could you NOT feel as though you need them in your life immediately? Well, I’ll tell you, you do. These are fun, different and delicious little suckers and I can’t wait to hear how much you love them.
Here is how you make them:
Buttered Popcorn and Butterscotch Cookies
- 4 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/4 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, cream together the softened butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth.
- In another bowl, whisk the flour and baking soda together. Stir the combined dry ingredients into the butter sugar mixture.
- Fold in the cooled popcorn and butterscotch chips so that it is evenly distributed through the batter. This might seem off since there is a lot of popcorn per batter but you measured correctly! Popcorn will break up slightly while you fold.
- Scoop a large tablespoon-size mound onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes, until the edges are light brown. Transfer to a rack to cool. Recipe makes approx. 2 dozen cookies.
Recipe adapted from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook.
YUUUUMMM. Such a perfect combination of salty and sweet, and chewy and crunchy. It’s like eating caramel corn in a cookie! Pretzel better watch it’s back.
What do you think of these butterscotch cookies? Would you ever put popcorn in your cookies? DO IT. And be sure to visit us as we blog about style, food, and the things we love over at the Pretty Life Girls! You can also find us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter!