Our mom has always been obsessed with thumbprint cookies. There is a grocery store in her hometown in Idaho that she loves to visit just to get her hands on her favorite kind. I mean, I guess I get the appeal. They are basically like little cookie bowls that hold frosting! What’s not to love? However, my first choice in baked good is almost always something chocolatey so they were never really my first choice. Then the other day at my local farmer’s market I tasted the most delectable thumbprint cookie filled with a perfect pool of decadent homemade jam. I died! They were so moist and sweet and light, and the flavors of the jam were insanely delicious. Those babies easily converted me to my mother’s thumbprint worship and I knew I had to recreate them.
The most important factor in making these cookies especially mouthwatering is the homemade jam. Something from the store just won’t cut it! I decided to use a blueberry lemon jam recipe I love because I was able to get some end-of-season blueberries for a great deal, and it is so easy to make. Plus, the flavors of lemon and blueberry are so good with these simple and amazing cookies. Here’s how to make it all:
Thumbprint Cookies with Blueberry Lemon Jam
For the Jam:
- 5 cups blueberries
- 6 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 2 (3 oz) envelopes liquid fruit pectin, (ball fruit jell)
- 7 (8 oz) canning jars and lids
- Prepare jars and lids according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- In a large saucepan over high heat add blueberries, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Stir frequently while bringing to a rolling boil.
- Stir in pectin and continue boiling for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Skim any foam if necessary and ladle into the hot prepared jars. Be sure to leave at least a 1/4” space at the top of the jar.
- Place the cap on the jars and process for another 15 minutes in a canner with boiling water. Makes 7 jars.
For the thumbprint cookies:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups (11.5 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces (or so) Blueberry Lemon Jam
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Line a light or medium-colored heavy-weight baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Beat together butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla extract. Add flour and salt and mix until incorporated and dough comes together in a ball.
- Form dough into 1-inch balls and arrange on prepared baking sheet. Flatten balls slightly with your thumb or the back of a small spoon, leaving an indentation in the center.
- Bake cookies for 8 to 10 minutes or until bottoms are just barely golden. Remove baking sheet from oven. If indentations look shallow, further define them with the back of a spoon and then fill each with approximately 1/2 teaspoon jam. Bake for an additional 3 to 4 minutes, or until jam melts slightly and edges of cookies are lightly golden. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.
Don’t they look so delicious? You are going to LOVE these thumbprint cookies. Plus, they are a perfect go to for all seasons because they are so adaptable! You can use any flavor of jam for whatever is in season to make them festive for gatherings! The possibilities are endless with these babies. They are so good I have to store them out of eyesight so that I don’t go completely crazy and devour them all.
Are you a thumbprint fan? What’s your favorite variety? I’d love to hear! And be sure to visit us as we blog about style, food, and the things we love over at the Pretty Life Girls! You can also find us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter!