Aren’t sure how often you should complete certain household duties? Here’s the ultimate cleaning schedule, with weekly, monthly, and yearly tasks!
Every year a lot of us make New Year’s resolutions. Instead of making a resolution this year, I made a promise to myself – no more messing around. I was going to develop a cleaning schedule. It’s April and I finally dit it. Just in time for spring cleaning!
If you’re curious what you should clean when, I’ve spelled it out for you below. I even have a pretty free printable so you can print it out and hang it up on your fridge or bulletin board. This basically outlines what you should be doing for an entire year.
Exciting, I know . . . but not all of us were gifted with knowing what to do when. If you are like me and need a little help, keep reading!
Home Cleaning Schedule
Multiple Times a Week
- Vacuum carpets and rugs
- Vacuum floors
- Vacuum upholstered furniture (with an attachment)
- Sanitize kitchen counters
- Change bed sheets and linens
- Dry pillows in the dryer for 15 minutes on tumble to freshen and remove dust mites
- Change bath towels
- Clean the bathroom including the toilet, sink, bathtub, and all surfaces
- Mop or wash all hard-surface floors
- Dust all surfaces – shelves, tables, light fixtures, mirrors . . . don’t forget the tops of televisions and appliances
- Clean the kitchen – toss old food from the fridge, wipe off the oven, wash the backsplash, clean the floor
- Pick a junk drawer in the kitchen or bathroom and go through it quickly, tossing what you don’t need
- Wash mirrors and glass doors
- Wash out garbage cans (remove the liners and spray out or wash the insides with soap and water)
- Discard expired medications and cosmetics
Every Three to Six Months
- Launder quilts, blankets, and duvet covers
- Flip the mattresses
- Launder pillows
- Clean out closets and coat closets – removing items to donate
- Clean and polish metal items
- Clean the oven
- Remove finger marks and smudges from walls with a Magic Eraser
- Wash windows and screens
- Dry clean or wash window treatments
- Dust and/or clean baseboards
- Shampoo furniture upholstery and carpets
- Move all appliances and dust/mop behind them
- Go through old books, CDs, DVDs, and related to donate unused items
- Dust and clean lamps, chandeliers, and other light fixtures
- Sort old papers stacked in various areas – file or shred
Now that you have the cleaning schedule, GET THE PRINTABLE HERE!