If you want a delicious and easy apple pie recipe, try it inside out! You’ll love the addition of ice cream to the baked apples.
Hello DIY Candy friends! This is Liz from The Pretty Life Girls and I am here to share with you the most delish fruit dessert! Pie season is upon us and while I am an expert at pie eating, I am a pie-making novice.
Something about crusts and lattices stresses me, so I love to find pie recipes that I can handle.
I decided to start with an apple recipe since it’s fall, and I felt it would be a good place to start. Today I bring you the perfect pie marriage of “simple-to-make” and “outside-the-norm” with this divine apple pie recipe.
I made this sucker for a get together with some girlfriends the other night and it was a crazy hit.
It looks beautiful, tastes amazing, and seems like you spent a lot more time on it than you did. So much winning with this sucker. Here’s how you do it!
Inside Out Apple Pie
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup pecans, (chopped)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, (unsalted, melted)
- 1 quart vanilla bean ice cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large tart apple(s), (peeled, cored, and sliced)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pecans, (toasted, chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
To Make the Crust
- Stir together the oats, pecans, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Add the melted butter and stir to combine.
- Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan and bake until toasted, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and use the back of a spoon to push the crust back up the sides, then set on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and allow it to soften for about 10 minutes. Scoop the ice cream into the pie shell and spread it in an even layer.
- Put the pie back in the freezer to firm up for at least 1 hour, or up to 3 days, placing a piece of plastic wrap on top if you'll be freezing it for more than a few hours.
To Make the Topping
- Melt the butter in a large sauté pan.
- Add the apple slices and sauté until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla and continue cooking until a sauce forms, another 2 minutes.
- Remove the ice cream pie from the freezer, slice, and top with warm apples on individual plates.
- Or, let the apples cool to room temperature and then pile them onto the ice cream pie before cutting into serving pieces. Garnish with the pecans and serve immediately.
Serving Size:1 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 593Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 298mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 5gSugar: 55gProtein: 7g
Recipe adapted from The Sprouted Kitchen
Happy pie making! And be sure to come and visit my sister and me as we blog about style, food, and the things we love over at The Pretty Life Girls.