If you want a delicious and easy apple pie recipe, try it inside out! You’ll love the addition of ice cream to the baked apples.
Hello DIY Candy friends! This is Liz from The Pretty Life Girls and I am here to share with you the most delish fall dessert! Pie season is upon us and while I am an expert at pie eating, I am a pie-making novice.
Something about crusts and latices stresses me so I love to find pie recipes that I can handle. Plus, I love a pie that is a little different than the basic pumpkin or pecan to shake things up a little. (Although duh, I still gotta have all the pumpkin and pecan. Let’s be real.)
So today I bring you the perfect pie marriage of simple-to-make and outside-the-norm with this divine easy apple pie recipe.
I made this sucker for a get together with some girlfriends the other night and it was a crazy hit. It looks beautiful, tastes amazing, and seems like you spent a lot more time on it than you did. So much winning with this sucker. Here’s how you do it!
Easy Apple Pie Recipe
Inside-Out Easy Apple Pie
- 1 quart vanilla bean ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
To Make the Crust
- Stir together the oats, pecans, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Add the melted butter and stir to combine.
- Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan and bake until toasted, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and use the back of a spoon to push the crust back up the sides, then set on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and allow it to soften for about 10 minutes. Scoop the ice cream into the pie shell and spread it in an even layer.
- Put the pie back in the freezer to firm up for at least 1 hour, or up to 3 days, placing a piece of plastic wrap on top if you'll be freezing it for more than a few hours.
To Make the Topping
- Melt the butter in a large sauté pan.
- Add the apple slices and sauté until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla and continue cooking until a sauce forms, another 2 minutes.
- Remove the ice cream pie from the freezer, slice, and top with warm apples on individual plates.
- Or, let the apples cool to room temperature and then pile them onto the ice cream pie before cutting into serving pieces. Garnish with the pecans and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from The Sprouted Kitchen