Make this easy Instant Pot spaghetti squash recipe in a matter of minutes! Add sauce and seasoning to create a delicious dinner.
My childhood memories of squash were less than stellar—picture a stringy, flavorless mess that seemed more like a dinner table punishment than a meal.
Sounds familiar? I bet it does for anyone who ever turned up their nose at veggies as a kid.
But, as with most things in life, time and taste buds evolve. And so has my relationship with vegetables, particularly one game-changing gourd: the spaghetti squash.
Who knew this unassuming veggie could be a culinary rockstar? And something that I would love?
My journey to embracing spaghetti squash wasn’t overnight. It all started with a Whole30 adventure a few years back.
If you haven’t heard of Whole30, it’s a month-long food voyage where you strip back your diet to the basics, ditching sugar, alcohol, grains, and more to reset your eating habits.
It was during this time that spaghetti squash waltzed into my life, not just as a veggie, but as a surprising replacement for pasta. Yes, you heard that right – a vegetable dethroning the beloved pasta!
But can a squash really replace pasta? I was skeptical too, but hear me out.
This isn’t about an exact replica of pasta’s taste and texture but discovering a deliciously unique alternative that’s healthier and just as satisfying.
Enter the hero of our story: the Instant Pot. The Instant Pot makes cooking spaghetti squash not only effortless but fun.
You’re not just boiling a vegetable; you’re creating a culinary masterpiece in minutes. It’s almost like uncovering a hidden kitchen superpower you never knew you had.
The beauty of this Instant Pot spaghetti squash recipe lies in its simplicity and versatility.
Whether you’re on a health kick, trying to sneak more veggies into your diet, or simply on the hunt for something new and tantalizing for your palate, this dish is your ticket.
It’s a celebration of flavors, textures, and, dare I say, a new way of looking at squash.
So, if you’re ready to turn a new leaf in your veggie journey, or just want to add a fun twist to your dinner routine, this spaghetti squash in an Instant Pot is for you.
Trust me, one bite and you’ll be wondering why you didn’t jump on the spaghetti squash bandwagon sooner.
Let’s dive into the world of quick, healthy, and scrumptiously satisfying meals. Your taste buds are in for a delightful surprise!
- One medium spaghetti squash
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- Salt/pepper to taste
Optional for Sauce
- 1/4 lb hamburger (or ground turkey, or ground veggie sausage)
- 1 cup tomato sauce (pre-seasoned is good)
- Instant Pot pressure cooker
Use a sharp blade as opposed to a saw-type to cut the squash. Sawing a squash doesn’t work as well as piercing and cutting with a paring knife . . . trust me!
While your spaghetti squash is cooking, you can make the sauce (optional). Spray a pan with cooking spray and cook your meat on medium-high heat until cooked through. Add tomato sauce and let simmer until done.
Place the spaghetti squash on a plate and top with the meat sauce. Serve and enjoy.
Get the printable recipe below.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 T parsley
- 1 pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Cut the squash either lengthwise or through the middle using a sharp knife.
- Scoop the guts and seeds out of a spaghetti squash with a spoon; discard.
- Place your trivet and one cup of water in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Place the spaghetti squash on top.
- Close the lid to the Instant Pot and make sure the top valve is closed. Press the "Manual" button and change the time to 6 minutes. Let it cook and when it is done, quick release the valve.
- Remove the squash from the Instant Pot and let it cook slightly. Grab a fork and shred the insides into a bowl. They will come out easily.
- Add in the olive oil, parsley, and salt/pepper to taste. Combine with your fork, then add the parmesan cheese and toss until combined well.
Note: the nutritional information only includes the spaghetti squash. Since the calories vary in the ground meat and tomato sauce, please add accordingly.
Serving Size:1 squash
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 242Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 357mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 7gSugar: 12gProtein: 7g
If you’ve tried this recipe, I’d love to hear how you like it in the comments! I’d also love it if you’d check out these additional Instant Pot recipes:
- Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Easy Chili in the Pressure Cooker
- Instant Pot Enchilada Casserole
- Instant Pot Bread Pudding