Are you moving soon, and don’t know where to start? These 50 resources and moving tips will get you primed and ready – I used these for my move!
Are you moving soon, and don’t know where to start? These 50 resources and moving tips will get you primed and ready. From the beginning to the end of your move, these are the most important things to remember.
Why did I develop this list of moving tips? Because we’re moving across the country from Atlanta, Georgia to Washington state. We are selling our condo, moving into an Air BnB, then moving our studio separately.
It’s a big undertaking and these tips are crucial. They saved me during a time of great need. I hope they will help you too – keep reading.
Working with a Realtor
1. It’s important to make sure you’re hiring a good one.
2. Watch out for these red flags.
Think about Minimizing before the Move
3. Consider having a yard sale or two, to get rid of your unwanted things.
4. Keep it organized by following these tips.
5. You can donate your unsold items to charity.
6. Here are some ideas for places that will take your donations.
7. Clean out your pantry by thinking up some creative ways you can use up the foods before you move.
8. You can try to sell your more valuable things locally on Craigslist.
9. Or, you can sell things online at eBay or one of these alternatives.
How to Pack
10. Here’s a handy list of tips for packing your belongings.
11. Way before the move, begin collecting moving boxes. You can get some free ones at these places.
12. See if you have all of these tools you’ll need for moving.
13. Familiarize yourself with how to manage the tools you’ll use like refilling a packing tape gun.
14. You’ll want to label each box with which room it goes in. This moving label tape is perfect.
15. You can also color-code your boxes to organize your packing efforts.
16. Check out this concise list of how to pack, including pictures.
17. Here is the best selling moving bubble wrap – use this to protect wooden furniture from dings and to cushion in between fragile objects.
18. Here’s a tip for protecting your toiletries and liquid containers from leaking during the trip.
19. Pack your dishes, cups, and kitchenware correctly.
20. Plastic wrap helps keep drawers intact.
21. Plastic wrap, bubble wrap, and straws are a nifty way to pack loose jewelry.
22. Take a look at this tutorial for how to use stretch wrap to protect your belongings.
23. The way to pack hanging clothes fast and easy: use garbage bags.
24. There are several things you’ll want to pack separately and keep with you.
Dealing with Professional Movers
25. It’s actually a pretty smart idea to hire a professional moving company.
26. Learn about the costs and how to save money when using them.
27. Move yourself using portable containers like ZippyShell.
28. There is a difference between a mover and a broker.
29. Did you know there are things that they won’t move for you?
30. Use this moving checklist to keep track of the important things you’ll need to do.
If Your Friends Help You
31. Here are some tips for how to get your friends to help you move.
32. Have a good plan to follow.
33. Reward them and show your gratitude with more than just pizza and beer.
Deep Cleaning Tips
34. This 7-day cleaning plan is a good idea if you’re responsible for cleaning your old home, or if you want to deep-clean your new one.
35. Or, follow these tips for spring-cleaning before moving.
36. If you’ve got some really grungy tasks ahead of you, you’ll want to use elbow grease.
37. Save money by making up a huge batch of DIY all-purpose cleaner for the tasks at hand.
38. And if the carpet is stained or needs a good scrub, try these hacks.
39. Don’t forget anything with these printable cleaning checklists.
Make Moving Easier with These Apps
40. Make checklists, checklists, and more checklists with Moving Checklist Pro.
41. Streamline your move with Unpakt.
42. MoveMatch will help you plan ahead if you’re hiring movers.
43. MoveAdvisor lets you manage your inventory room by room, find movers, set a timeline, and make checklists.
After You Move In
44. Use this checklist so you’ll remember the most important things you’ll want to do right away.
45. Have a gentle and gracious attitude about the previous tenants of the home, and look forward to making it yours.
46. Be sure you’ve changed your address with the post office and notified your new utility services.
Things you Might Not Think of, but Really Should Do
47. Take photos of your empty old home, and of your empty new home (especially if you’re renting).
48. Fill those nail holes in the walls.
49. Consider hiring a babysitter or pet sitter on moving day.
50. Defrost and prepare your refrigerator a day ahead.
When you’re moving, it can feel overwhelming, and this is a huge list! But these tried and true moving tips and resources for moving will actually make your move simpler and less stressful.
Do you have anything you’d add to this list? Please share your moving tips in the comments below!