My latest thrift store makeover was so simple but I’m loving it! These DIY tribal painted baskets add a nice touch to your home decor.
Skills Required: Beginner. Anyone can make these, even without prior crafting skills. If you can hold a paintbrush, you can do this project.
Hello! This is Megan from Homemade Ginger, and I’m back with another thrifty DIY. I love blogging all about how to make lovely things without spending a fortune and I’m mildly obsessed with the thrift store. My latest thrift store makeover was so simple but I’m loving it!
Easy Painted Baskets
I found these basket planters at Goodwill for less than $2 each. They were good quality and lined with plastic so I knew that they were a steal.
I wanted to do something with them with paint, so I started brainstorming. I love the tribal print theme right now, and the weave of the baskets created a great base to add some paint for some tribal-inspired designs.
Learn how to make this project below. It’s really easy, no matter your skill level.
Gather These Supplies
- Baskets with weave – any size
- Acrylic paint – colors of your choice
- Spray paint – use for basecoating (optional)
- Painter’s tape (optional)
Before beginning, make sure that you wipe all the dirt and debris off of your baskets with a wet cloth or paper towel. Let dry.
I left the brown basket as-is and just added some white acrylic paint for a cross/plus design. I did a few coats of the white and then once it was dry, I lightly sanded it to give it a slightly aged look. This photo is just after one coat of paint.
I spray painted the lighter colored basket white to make it a little more modern. Then, I added some black acrylic paint to create a tribal pattern.
I love how they look on my front porch for fall! For less than $4 and a little paint that I already had on hand, I now have two modern tribal painted baskets!
The nice thing about these baskets is that you can stick some potted plants inside them and call it a day (take the plants out to water or don’t overwater). But you can use these for anything and as any type of decoration.
I think about doing these on a larger scale with bigger wicker baskets. They could be used to hold all sorts of things! I’d love a large one for blankets in the living room. What do you think? Let me know in the comments!
- Baskets with weave
- Acrylic paint or spray paint - colors of your choice
- Painter's tape (optional)
- Clean the baskets of dirt and debris as much as possible and let dry.
- On one basket, paint both the top and bottom edge. Let dry.
- Paint portions of the basket weave with white to look like plus signs. Do this all the way around the basket and let dry.
- On the other basket, completely spray paint with white. Let dry.
- Add black acrylic paint to create a tribal pattern on various portions of the basket weave.
- Let dry completely before using!
For more easy and thrifty modern DIY projects, be sure to visit me over at Homemade Ginger. I’d also love for you to check out the following ideas: