This delicious apple spice cake recipe is absolutely perfect for fall – moist, tender, melt in your mouth! Uses real apples and all of your favorite autumn spices. The caramel sauce on top is to die for! Get the recipe here.
Dear friends, this apple spice cake recipe has “fall” written all over it and let me tell you – you are going to love it! Apple and caramel are the perfect combination; that can’t be denied. Add in delicious spices and you’ve got a perfect dessert that will disappear a few moments after being cut.
Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce
It’s very simple to make. And because there is no frosting (just a caramel drizzle) feel free to bake it in a pretty bundt pan with some sort of autumn design like this one or this one. You should also display this apple spice cake on a DIY cake stand with a festive fall feather cake topper.
Tips for the Perfect Apple Spice Cake
Before we get into the spice cake recipe, I want to give you my tips for bundt perfection. This cake is essentially a bundt cake, and you’re going to cook it in a bundt pan. So here’s what you need to remember for this recipe:
- Use a non-stick pan – but still grease it. Nooks and crannies of the pattern in your pan are especially important to make sure to hit with the spray or butter.
- Measure carefully as extra sugar will make the cake fall, and extra flour will make it too dry.
- Don’t overmix. You don’t need to beat the life out of the ingredients. You want to mix until ingredients are just combined and your batter is light and fluffy.
- Don’t check the cake (by opening the oven) too often while it’s cooking. Bundt cakes will fall if too much heat is lost from the oven. Leave it in for the required baking time. Check it using the oven light if you need to see how far along it is.
- Allow the cake to completely cool. It’s easy to get impatient and try to get the cake out of the bundt pan early (guilty!). But that’s when your apple cake falls apart and the design is ruined.
Apple Spice Cake Recipe
Are you ready to give this delicious fall bundt cake recipe a try? Just scroll down!
One last thing: I like to shred the apple in my food processor; it’s fast and will give you the perfect texture for this spice cake recipe. You could dice the apples, but they will be more “chunky” inside the recipe – so it really depends on your preference!
Apple Spice Cake with Caramel Sauce
Apple Spice Cake
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 T water
- 2 T light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 T butter
Make the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift the first 9 ingredients together in a bowl and make sure they are thoroughly combined.
- Beat the butter with a stand mixer until creamy.
- Add the sugar and mix until incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture in two parts, alternating with the eggs, sour cream, and milk.
- Fold in the apples.
- Pour into your prepared baking pan(s).It will make 2 round 8 or 9 inch cakes or 1 large bundt.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes, until it is brown all over and a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Top with caramel sauce (recipe below).
Make the Sauce
- Combine the sugar, water, and the corn syrup in a large saucepan and stir with a wooden spoon over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Cover the saucepan and let it cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, remove the lid, increase the heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil.
- Do not stir from this point on, but instead swirl the liquid around the pan so that the caramel doesn’t burn.
- Continue to cook until the caramel turns an even amber color then remove from the heat and let stand for about 30 seconds.
- *** Be careful here *** Pour the heavy cream into the mixture. The mixture will bubble up significantly and is very hot.
- Stir the mixture, again being careful. Add the butter. Stir until combined.
- Measure 1 cup into a Pyrex measuring cup. Stirring occasionally, allow to cool until thick like molasses and warm to the touch, about 20 minutes.
- Pour over the apple spice cake and serve.
I personally think this bundt cake makes the transition to cooler weather just a little bit easier – don’t you? If you try it – I’d love for you to rate this recipe and let me know how you like it in the comments!
If you enjoyed this apple spice cake recipe, you might want to check out these other desserts:
- Delicious Frosted Caramel Apple Cookies
- Apple Monkey Bread Recipe
- Apple Cider Donuts
- Caramel Apple Pops
- Apple Peach Crisp Recipe