This tasty pasta con broccoli recipe is from one of the most famous Italian restaurants in St. Louis! The secret to this dish is in the creamy sauce.
It’s the time of year for comfort food, and Pasta Con Broccoli (also known as “Pasta e Broccoli”) is one of my go-to dinners.
This pasta dish is simple enough to make for a quick weeknight dinner for the family, but also “formal” enough to make when you have guests. Don’t you love those type of dual-purpose meals?
When I was young I used to ask for this for my birthday dinner; it’s a family favorite. The dish originated from a restaurant called the Pasta House in St. Louis and we’ve made it our own over the years.
It’s also comparable to Rich and Charlie’s recipe – yet another infamous Italian restaurant in St. Louis. When I made this pasta recipe I thought to myself, “Why have I not shared this yet?!”
Pasta Con Broccoli Recipe
The secret to this dish is in the perfectly creamy sauce. I find it’s always important to have patience with a creamy sauce, so that it doesn’t get burned and so that all of the ingredients get a chance to mix thoroughly.
No one likes clumps, and I’ve been guilty of working too quickly and not getting all of them out!
If you’re ready to try this recipe out, you should also be ready for your family to ask for it again and again.
The littles won’t even notice that they are eating vegetables. So here you go – the best pasta con broccoli recipe in St. Louis, just for your dinner table.
What is your favorite fall dinner? I’m also a fan of Italian sausage and spinach pasta or fresh homemade chicken milano when it comes to comfort food. I hope you’ll try this pasta con broccoli – it’s delicious and I’m sure you’ll think so too!
- 1 lb pasta, preferably shell noodles
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 6 T butter
- 3 T all-purpose flour
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped small
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, depending on your preference
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped small
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan, plus more for top
- Steam your broccoli and cook noodles according to package directions.
- In a medium to large pot, melt the butter over medium heat and add the garlic. After the garlic has cooked a minute or so add the flour and mix to make your roux.
- Once it's combined and looks like a paste, slowly add your tomato sauce, milk, and cream. Whisk until combined and no clumps of flour remain.
- Add in the salt, pepper, oregano and red pepper flakes. Red pepper flakes are extremely spicy, so only add to the level you want.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and continue whisking until it thickens.
- Add in the mushrooms and turn down the heat to medium-low. Let simmer for 5-6 minutes, cooking the mushrooms.
- Add in the parmesan and stir until melted.
- Add the noodles and broccoli to your sauce and mix.
- Serve warm topped with a pinch or two of shredded parmesan.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 925Total Fat: 46gSaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 141mgSodium: 1302mgCarbohydrates: 101gFiber: 5gSugar: 10gProtein: 26g
I hope you enjoyed this post! Let me know what you think in the comments. If you’d like, please pop over to Handmade in the Heartland to see more of my creative projects!