Take a plain hat to the next level with some neon yarn – if you can sew on a button, then you can make this heart-patterned pom pom beanie!
I have been letting this pom pom beanie project roll around in my brain for the last couple of months, trying to decide how to execute it well. Then, over the weekend, I found the right beanie and the right yarn and finally decided to make it happen and I’m SO glad I did.
I have noticed these solid beanies at Walmart (for just $2) and knew there had to be a way to take these inexpensive but plain little cuties to the next level, so I decided to add some neon yarn touches and BAM!
The cutest beanie around was created. This project is great because it is so cheap and, if you can sew on a button, you make yourself one!
Pom Pom Beanie
Here is how I did it:
- Plain beanie
- Yarn (if you are doing hearts then a thicker yarn will make a bigger impact)
- Needle (make sure it is big enough to thread your yarn through!)
1. Start stitching your hearts! There isn’t much of a secret to this, just stitch a V, then cut your ends inside the hat and tie them off. I did mine all free-hand so they aren’t exactly evenly spaced, but you could also measure and mark them before with a pencil if you want more exact placement.
2. Make your pom pom! I made mine by wrapping the yarn around 4 of my fingers about 100 times. Then, carefully slide it off of your hand so it keeps its shape.
3. Cut a piece of yarn a view inches long and tie around the circle of yarn very tightly. Then, take scissors and cut through the loops. After all of the loops are cut I like to spend some time adjusting and trimming the ends of the pom pom until I am happy with its shape.
4. Thread your needle again and attach the pom pom to the top of the hat by threading it through the pom pom and tying it off inside the hat to secure.
You’ve done it! This pom pom beanie is SO easy, right? Now you can brave that cold January air in style. Or, just stay inside where it’s warm and there is Netflix and look cozy and cute. That’s my preferred option.
And be sure to visit us as we blog about style, food, and the things we love over at the Pretty Life Girls.