Try this easy and delicious ground turkey casserole recipe, with a buttery biscuit crust and savory BBQ flavor. The family will ask for this biscuit casserole again and again!
Some days it’s necessary to throw aside the healthy cookbooks and dig into something worthwhile. I’m not saying healthy recipes aren’t good, but I am saying that this has bacon. And BBQ sauce.
It was time to make a casserole that was a bit more naughty, and that’s where the bacon and BBQ come in. Then the kicker . . . I wanted to use biscuits.
So that’s exactly what happened! Obviously this biscuit casserole recipe is really, really good. Throw in chopped up zucchini and it’ll help shave *some* guilt off. Until you cover the entire turkey casserole with cheese . . . oopsie.
Ground Turkey Casserole
I think there’s a common misconception that a biscuit casserole has to be for breakfast, and I’m ready to dispel the myth with this dish.
You can use biscuits or crescent rolls for ANY casserole that calls for a homemade crust.
Some might think it’s lazy, but sometimes you’re trying to save time and feed a finicky family, so shortcuts are welcomed!
Alternative to Homemade Crust
Don’t get me wrong, I think homemade crusts are lovely. But you will also never be judged by me for taking a shortcut like this one . . . especially when everyone is looking at you for dinner ideas and you’ve run out.
A biscuit casserole crust works perfectly and takes a fraction of the time to make a homemade crust.
Are you ready to try a turkey casserole the whole family will love? Here’s the recipe!
BBQ Turkey Casserole Recipe
- 1 package ground turkey
- 1 zucchini
- 1 – 1.5 cups of thick, sweet BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1 can of crescent rolls or biscuits
- 4-5 strips of bacon
- 1 cup of shredded cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Dice the zucchini and the bacon. Cook in a medium pan with about 1/2 tbsp of olive oil. In a separate pan, fully cook the ground turkey.
Unroll the biscuits or crescent rolls and lay them flat at the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Spread the dough and press together until it’s one nice piece.
Bake in the over for only 5 minutes and remove. Add the BBQ sauce and mustard to the ground turkey and mix well.
Scoop the turkey into the pan as the bottom layer. Add the cheese evenly. Next sprinkle the cooked zucchini and bacon on top. This will crisp up a bit in the oven and look amazing.
Bake uncovered for about 10-15 minutes; until the cheese is melted and the edge of the biscuits have lightly browned.
Remove and allow to cool for 1-2 minutes, then cut and serve!
Easy, delicious and keeps well for leftovers! The biscuits have a fluffy buttery flavor, while the BBQ ground turkey mixes sweet and savory together in a glorious package.
My favorite part might be the crispy pieces of bacon on top – right before the gooey cheese.
This turkey casserole recipe is perfect for when family comes to visit for the holidays, or those nights when dinner plans seem daunting and you don’t want to do boring. This casserole is anything but that!
- 1/2 T olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 zucchini
- 1-1.5 cups sweet BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1 can crescent rolls or biscuits
- 5 strips bacon
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Dice the zucchini and the bacon.
- Cook in a medium pan with about 1/2 tbsp of olive oil.
- In a separate pan, fully cook the ground turkey.
- Unroll the crescent rolls and lay them flat at the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan. Spread the dough until it's one nice piece. Bake in the over for only 5 minutes and remove.
- Add the BBQ sauce and mustard to the ground turkey and mix well.
- Scoop the yummy turkey into the pan as the bottom layer.
- Add the cheese evenly.
- Next sprinkle the cooked zucchini and bacon on top. This will crisp up a bit in the oven and look amazing. Bake uncovered for about 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the edge of the biscuits have lightly browned.
- Remove and allow to cool for 1-2 minutes, then cut and serve!
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 532Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 1414mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 2gSugar: 33gProtein: 24g
Photography by Patty from The PKP Way