Make this delicious coconut banana bread recipe with tasty lemon glaze – it’s moist and yummy and perfect for any occasion!
I have a confession – I really don’t like raw bananas. And I’ve never liked them. They’re gross to me, and slimy, and touching them makes me gag a little bit.
Which I know is a lovely way to begin a recipe post, but it’s the absolute (and very strange) truth about bananas that I had to share. Because the even stranger part of the whole equation is that I love banana bread. And it’s one of my favorite fruit desserts.
There must be something about a banana going through the baking process with flour, sugar, butter, and those other goodies. Something that makes the typical, slimey fruit tube turn into something so tasty!
After pumpkin bread, this coconut banana bread is my favorite dessert. I especially love banana bread in fall, but the coconut flavor and lemon glaze makes it sorta perfect all year ’round. It actually makes a perfect Easter dessert.
This particular bread recipe is one of my FAVORITE things ever to bake. It is simple, uses ingredients I always have at home, tastes SO good and fresh, and the glaze on top makes it over the top delicious.
Coconut Banana Bread Recipe
The recipe that inspired me has a lime glaze, which is amazing, but I only had lemons on hand, and they work great too! If you are looking for a delicious banana bread recipe with spring flavors, this Coconut Banana Bread with Lemon Glaze is it!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, I use 1 C white and 1 C wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened, about 4 Tbs
- 2 egg(s), large
- 1 1/2 cup bananas, about 4, ripe, and mashed
- 1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 3 T milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut, shredded, unsweetened
- 2 T coconut, shredded, unsweetened
Glaze (whisk together)
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 1/2 T lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt together and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until blended. Add eggs and beat to combine.
- Add banana, sour cream or yogurt, apple juice (or milk), and vanilla. Beat until blended.
- Add flour mixture and beat at a low speed until just combined.
- Stir in 1/2 C coconut.
- Pour batter into a bread pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Sprinkle additional 2 Tbs coconut on top.
- Bake in the oven for about 1 hour or until a knife or skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Note: Check bread after about 40 minutes. If the top has browned and the coconut pieces are looking toasty, cover top of bread lightly with a piece of foil.
- Continue baking until done. When done, remove pan from oven.
- Let cool on a cooling rack for about 10 minutes and then carefully remove from pan.
- Whisk powdered sugar and lime juice together for the glaze and then drizzle over top.
- Cool for another 15 minutes before slicing.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 321Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 260mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 2gSugar: 30gProtein: 4g
Happy baking (and eating)! And be sure to come visit my sister and me as we blog about style, food, and the things we love over at The Pretty Life Girls.
If you like this coconut banana bread, I’d love for you to check out these other recipes: