Use cloth diapers to make DIY burp cloths, a perfect gift for a new mom. This is such an easy sewing project – and can be customized for boy or girl.
Hi, this is Jessica from Cutesy Crafts. Today I have a little burp cloth tutorial to share with you. Everyone knows that cloth diapers make the best baby burp cloths.
Baby can’t just be going around with plain old white cloth diapers though! Add a little bit of ribbon and some decorative stitching, and you’ve got yourself some cute and custom burp cloths.
With all the different kinds of ribbon out there, the possibilities are endless! These DIY burp cloths are great gifts for a baby shower and can be customized for a boy or girl.
DIY Baby Burp Cloths
- prefold cloth diapers – Make sure to get at least the 6-ply ones
- ribbon – Get durable ribbon. They are going to get washed a lot!
- thread – You need some to match the ribbon and some to make the decorative stitches
If your sewing machine has decorative stitching options, choose some colorful thread and sew down both long sides of the cloth diapers.
You can even do a zig-zag if that’s all your machine has. This is optional, but makes the burp cloths so much cuter.
Cut a piece of ribbon the length of the short end of the cloth diaper plus a little extra (about 1/2 inch) on each side.
Fold the ends of the ribbon under and use bobby pins to hold it in place along the edge of the cloth. You can pin the ribbon too, but I find bobby pins are easier to use for things like this.
Sew around all sides of the ribbon, getting as close to the edge as you can.
Repeat on the other short end of the cloth diaper, and you’re done. These DIY burp cloths are a perfect and inexpensive gift for a new mom, or just for yourself if you find that you need more. You can never have too many burp cloths!
Now that you know how to make burp cloths, will you try them? Let me know in the comments! I’d also love for you to check out these other simple sewing projects:
- Prefold cloth diapers
- Ribbon - at least 24"
- Sewing machine
- Cut a piece of ribbon the length of the short end of the cloth diaper, plus a little extra (about 1/2 inch) on each side.
- Fold the ends of the ribbon under and use pins to hold it in place along the edge of the cloth.
- Sew around all sides of the ribbon, getting as close to the edge as you can.
- Repeat on the other short end of the cloth diaper to finish.