Use Mod Podge Clear Chalkboard Finish to decorate these modern door hangers! Make them in any pattern and color palette to match your decor.
Picture this. It’s been a reeeeally long morning. The kids spilled the cereal, colored on the walls, you’re on Diet Coke IV. Finally, the clock strikes nap time and the heavens part.
You get the rascals their sippy cups, their binkies, their favorite blankie, and put them in their beds. After a million stories and kisses and back rubs they are out. You collapse on the couch. You’ve done it.
Then from nowhere the horrific ding of the doorbell pierces the quiet you’ve waited SO long for. It’s the UPS guy. The post it note you put over the doorbell telling him to knock has failed you. The kids hear it. They start to wail. ALL IS LOST.
That, my friends, is mom life at its most desperate, and today I have the perfect DIY project to help avoid this scenario and keep nap time as the haven it should be.
We’re making Decorative Chalkboard Doorknob Hangers! You can use these little cuties to deter that UPS guy, let your boss know you’ll be right back, or welcome your friends. Plus, they are a piece of cake to make. Here’s how you do it:
Decorative Chalkboard Door Hangers
Gather These Supplies
- Unfinished wood planks (You can find these at any craft store in the wood section.)
- Paint (I used the new FolkArt Milk Paint line because the colors are delish and I love how they let the natural grain of the wood come through)
- Mod Podge Clear Chalkboard Top Coat
- Classic Mod Podge
- Scrapbook paper
- Rope or string
- Unfinished wooden beads
- Brushes for paint/Mod Podge
- Paint your planks and beads. The best part about using the chalkboard finish Mod Podge is that it lets you turn anything into a chalkboard, so you aren’t restricted to just having a black chalkboard! Allow paint to dry completely.
2. Apply Mod Podge Clear Chalkboard Topcoat according to bottle directions. Let dry completely.
3. While the plank is dry, measure and cut your scrapbook paper. Apply to plank using Classic Mod Podge (according to bottle directions). Let dry completely.
4. Using a drill, drill two holes into the top of your planks. If you don’t have a drill you can staple, glue or use your favorite craft adhesive to attach the rope to the planks.
5. Measure your rope to the length you would like and cut. Thread the rope through the holes and through the beads. Tie off at the top.
That’s it! Now just get out your chalk and send your message on your door hangers! I can’t think of a cuter way to let someone know you want them to leave you alone. 🙂
So cute, right? How would you use your chalkboard door hangers?And be sure to visit us as we blog about style, food, and the things we love over at the Pretty Life Girls where you can find other fun DIY projects like these DIY Flamingo Mirrors!