Create your own DIY hair accessories with Mod Melts and Molds! You’ll love these rainbow “gems” – you can make a ton of them at once. They make great gifts!
Skills Required: Beginner. You’ll be filling silicone molds with hot glue, painting, and attaching to metal barrettes. These are super easy, even for newbies.
Do you love fashion crafts? How about making your own hair accessories? Recently I tried making some new hair baubles with some silicone molds, and it has busted my crafting wide open. I’m excited to show you how make your own plastic shapes using the molds, and make everything from seashells to birds to aztec decals!
You can also use a hot glue gun, making this one of those genius hot glue gun crafts you’re going to try again and again. Basically you’ll just need a glue gun, your molds, and some barrette clips.
For today’s project I used a gem silicone mold to make some one-of-a-kind barrettes with a little metallic paint, and I am obsessed with the outcome. Shiny things! My favorite.
DIY Hair Accessories
Here’s how you make them:
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue sticks
- Silicone molds (baking or resin section of the craft store; you could also buy gems in the jewelry section and paint them to get the colors you want!)
- Metallic paint (I used Folk Art Metallics and the colors are GORG)
- Metal Barrette clips
1. Plug in your hot glue gun, turn on and insert a stick. Wait 5 – 7 minutes to heat up. Direct the tip of the hot glue gun in the center of the mold and squeeze the trigger directing the melted glue until the entire mold is filled. Wait until the gem is completely cooled, then pop out of mold.
2. Paint your gems! It took me about 3 coats on each to get the color intensity and coverage that I wanted.
Aren’t these metallic colors little stunners? I could look at this rainbow of gems all day.
3. Using your glue gun, glue the gems to your barrette clip, let cool, and go be gorgeous!
It’s so fun to use the silicone molds to create a bunch of different shapes and paint them to make something that is extra unique! Clip these little beauties in your hair and you’ll be BLINGIN.
I love my new hair accessories! Such a fun little DIY to add a little glam to your wardrobe! Let us know if you make your own! And be sure to visit us as we blog about style, food, and the things we love over at the Pretty Life Girls. I’d also love for you to check out the following crafts: